BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, January 15, 2010

Need To Put The Spotlight On - MIDIMARC (w/ Exclusive Interview)


It really is hard to find talent these days, especially when the Internet is quite oversaturated with people of all genres on the scene. So it's quite a surprise and breath of fresh air to stumble upon South Carolina producer MidiMarc. Producing for well over a decade, Mr. Marc (not to be confused with Mr. Marcus) has truly honed his craft and continues to climb higher with his witty skits and soulful backdrops. Yours truly was blessed to have an interview with the young "Super Producer-In-Training"

Noir Negro: Ok MidiMarc, first of all I have to state that I found your work by word of mouth and I'm glad I took the time out to listen. How long have you been producing for?

Midimarc: I'm glad you're digging the music, thank you! I've been doing my thing since 1997. I started making beats after I heard Wu-Tang Forever (Wu-Tang Clan, 1997).

NN: Hahaha that's a true Hip-Hop fan. Was it any particular track that stuck out to you or was it the album as a whole?

MMarc: Man! As soon as I started Disc One and "Reunited" came on, my life changed! The RZA was still known for heavy sampling, but busted me over the head with fresh violins and what not. I listened to the album everyday for a year and a half, real talk.

NN: Hahaha, I feel you. RZA can have that kind of effect on you (no homo). I've listened to a lot of your projects, such as "MidiMarc Tribute to Michael Jackson" (listen), "The NewPrint w/ Jay-Z" (listen), and the entire Shootin Breeze Instrumental Series, especially the Wario edition (listen). Is it strictly just you behind the boards or do you have a team that helps you out?

MMarc: The Shootin The Breeze Instrumental Series is actually produced by DJ Cannon Banyon and I, he makes beats as well. We won't say who did what on the projects though haha. I do work with other producers though and the collaborations are on the way. Right now, my fellow producers are Hollywood, Cap, A Dot McCray, and Encore.

NN: The lineup already sounds official and I'm a fan of the "Keep it Mum' Production Ethic. You get points with that one. In a day and age where producers are getting more recognition while Superproducers are getting pushed aside, how do you feel about this new surge of creativity?

MMarc: I feel like technology has evened out the playing field somewhat. Nowadays, you have folks fresh out of high school with access to the same software as a 20 year veteran Producer. You can't rest on any laurels anymore. Everyone has to prove that they want it. There's a lot of speculation and opinion on things happening these days with the culture (Hip-Hop). It's still growing, so there are a bunch of questions that haven't been answered yet. Whatever the industry has in store for an up-and-coming producer like myself, I'll be ready.

NN: I like that response. Artist makes the Producer or Producer makes the Artist?

MMarc: Even though dope production is the only thing keeping the music interesting these days, I feel like the artist and producer make each other. Use Gangstarr as an example. Some would say that Guru wouldn't be who he is without DJ Premier, but NOBODY was looking for Premo until they saw what him and Guru was doing. Also, the music that a Producer makes with an Artist creates a sound that he doesn't get while working with someone else. You don't get the same feeling from a Timbaland and Jay-Z song that you get from a Timbaland/Magoo track or Timbaland/Missy track. The artist brings something out of the Producer and vice versa.

NN: That's deep and insightful that you put it that way. Not many cats understand the bond to make magic like that. Normally, rappers have to go out and perform live to get noticed. How do you feel the producer's hustle is any different?

MMarc: I feel like these days since there are soooo many folks trying to rap that you can get a lot done as a producer by simply going to where the rappers are and passing out Beat CD's. It's still a hustle, but dope beats are in a real demand right now at every level of the music industry. From local talent shows and up, everyone needs beats. The hustle is different and the same. It's the same because you need to be seen and your music needs to be heard and it's different because if your production is dope, everyone wants to know you. Beat CD's, remix projects, compilations, you can't go wrong...."if you build it, they will come." haha.

NN: Lmao! I definitely vibe on that statement. Is there any specific artists that you work with right now and is there anytime soon that we can expect more work from you?

MMarc: Right now, I'm working with some great independent artists and producers. I mentioned my producers earlier, but as far as artists go, I'm working on joints with Fat Rat the Czar, Ntelligence, Preach Jacobs, Dan Johns, Big Hodge, L'Daialogue, Boondak Syndicate, Jim Snooka, Deezus, Ron Payton, Singapore Kane, Marly Mar, T-Roc, TrapStar, Open Mike, Hollywood, Diablo Archer,  and Top Billion. The next projects up to bat are: Shooting The Breeze Instrumentals Vol. 4, InDAIPendent: a project with Memphis emcee L'DaiaLogue, and Mediocre: a beat cd made by fellow producer Encore and myself. If there's one thing to expect from me, it's "out of the blue" beat projects. There is nothing better than doing what you love. I'm having so much fun with this music.

NN: And by all means, continue to have fun doing this. You always got to keep that passion going through thick and thin. With the instance that Dr. Dre has delayed his highly anticipated album Detox for yet ANOTHER YEAR, do you feel that you're a perfectionist as well or do you let the fans decide and critique?

MMarc: I don't think i've really tapped into the Perfectionist in me yet. I'll get a glimpse of it when I produce a compilation from top to finish, meaning selcting each rapper and creating a beat for each project like Dr. Dre does. Of course the fans are going to critique the final product, but that's only if I like the beat enough to let anyone hear it. If I don't like it, it's deleted before anyone hears it. A true "tree falling in the woods" scenario.

NN: Good point. Well we'll definitely be paying attention to your moves in this new year and decade. Anything you would like to say to artists on the come-up trying to be successful?

MMarc: It's all about baby steps. Take pride in your work and let the world know that you love and stand by what you do. And anything past two shakes means that you're playing with yourself.

NN: I think that you're going to make it very far in this business. You show talent and humbleness, and that's a rare combo in this industry. You got to keep us updated with the progress as we'll meet again somewhere down the line. Thanks a Milli, Bro.



Follow MidiMarc on Twitter
MidiMarc on Myspace
MidiMarc Blogspot
More Tracks by MidiMarc












Follow Rap&Ramen on Twitter

0 comments: